Wednesday 5 December 2012

Diary: The truth about Santa Clause?

Snowing!
Oh yeaaah!! Today it was snowing for the first time in my area! Well, if I don't count Saturday, when it was snowing in the morning while I was still snoring in my room (my friend woke up though, and bragged about it all day ): )! 
But anyway, it was more like snow slash rain. Row... Snain! It was snainy today (that's exactly what I'm gonna say to my friends tomorrow, I'm such a genius).

'The sky is having sex', as Callie said in my favourite ever book (Checkmate) by Malirie Blackman! Read it, and you'll definitely get this part. Believe I'm not crazy, or weird, or sick. (Please don't tell my mother!)
To skip any confusion, it's a book for teenagers. Best book I ever read.

St Nicholas Feast!
Educate yourselves! It's Saint Nicholas today! For you British teens, this might not ring a bell, but in that 'little' island called EUROPE, 5th and 6th December is are days worth highlighting in the calendar.
In some countries, children put out their shoes to be filled with presents and yummy food overnight. It's like having Christmas twice in one month!!

In other countries, it's different. People dress up as 'Mikulas', Angel and a Devil go around together. Mikulas (St Nicholas) is the good guy, who gives out presents to good children. The Angel is like his assistant. The person dressed up as the devil is supposed to scare naughty kids and give them potatoes. Yup, potatoes instead of the presents. Well done, well done. 
In the end though, even the nasty kids get their gifts, all they get is a warning, so ya know.
This is a good way for teens to make money. When I still lived in Europe, I used to go around with my friends, we would dress up in these costumes (I was a girl devil, haha. I was cute though.) and go knock on doors and give sweets to kids, or catch parents with kids on the streets. Parents will give you some coins or cash as a thank you gesture for making their kids' day! 
When we did this, one kid cried and another one pissed himself. Perfect.
Angel and Mikulas costumes.

Anyway. To the important bit. St Nicholas was apparently, a long time ago, a wealthy person who inherited a lot of money from his family. Instead of being all stingy and living the life, he gave out his fortune to the poor. In fact, rumour has it that he was secretly dropping bags of money and gold down individuals' chimneys so they would survive.. (hint)
He later became a saint, as he was helping anyone in trouble - hungry children, prisoners, women, abused persons... You name it! He just kept on giving (hint hint).

Ok, I think you get it now. St Nicholas IS Santa Clause. This is what he is based on, believe it or not! 

I hope I ruined your fantasies x


No comments:

Post a Comment