Wednesday 19 December 2012

Gossip Girl - analysed by me

I can't lie, I love a bit of Gossip Girl. Honestly, I only started watching around early September, but I managed to catch up before Season 6 episode 5 aired, so I was good before the final.

The most aspect of the storyline that kept me tied to my computer screen was probably Gossip Girl's actual identity (don't worry, no spoilers until next time). And Blair's and Chuck's complicated but great love.

Firstly, I'd like to give you a few paragraphs about the show's progressions. Read up if you like...

Storyline

The Beginning
When I saw the first ever episode of Gossip Girl, I didn't think much of it. I mean, it was fine, but super boring compared to my favourite, Pretty Little Liars. Since I read the first GG book, I thought I might as well watch a few episodes to see where the story is going (note that it didn't occur to me that the series don't exactly follow the book's foot steps). I hated Blair and loved Serena at the first few episodes BTW!

However, as the storyline developed and I started to understand things from the characters' individual perspectives  I've grown to love the show. I mean, it is like a taste of an exclusive life of rich teenagers with 'unlimited access to money'. The fashion worn by Serena and Blair is just a dream. The guys were somewhat hot.
But soon it went down hill. Unrealistic and unnecessary drama, shit plot twists, repetitive and predictable storylines - just watching it became uncomfortable.

The fall: Seasons 4-5
Everything was great, untill this time of the show. It was getting tiring - Chuck and Blair breaking up and making up (maybe more times than Ross and Rachel even!). Georgina coming to stir shit up at the end of each season. Blair and her Royal family drama.
Ok, I can live with that. It's still hard to stop watching.
Then came the show's two biggest, nastiest, most unrealistic plot twists you could ever imagine. Dair and Rivy.
Yep. Blair and Dan. Dan and Blair - it doesn't even sound good! Everyone knew Chuck was meant for Blair and the writers just needed a way to delay the relationship till the very end. But THIS? Scraping the barrel a little bit guys?
And don't get me started or Ivy and Rufus! The whole Ivy/Lola/Charlie thing got old, and the writers had run out of ideas. That's all I can say.

End of an Era
It's kind of a bitter sweet feeling - what will I watch every Tuesday? On the other hand, the story got so boring it would have no point - they'd keep have Chair breaking and making up, and Serena stirring up childish shit to get some limelight. Yawn. It was getting lame - everyone practically slept with everyone. Maybe they would get Serena with Jack or Rufus - or Will, even ('since family seems to be the theme', haha).


Character Development:
Blair: Blair is a bit of a mixture. By season 3, she has clearly grown up - serious relationship and intelligence. But the scheming didn't end until she was out of college! Her character made a realistic improvement. From the moment she hooked up with Chuck at the back of his limo, GG was all about Blair, and we all loved her since then! 
Serena: Like I said, at the very beginning, it looked like Serena is the star of GG. But with the whole Chair thing, Serena fell into the background instantly. She wasn't involved much with the main characters, so she was dating a lot of random characters who nobody cared about (Aaron, Collin, Garbiel...). By season 5, she'd grown up.. into the biggest, most childish ever bitch you could imagine! Funny how at 16, she was mature and in her early 20's she can't go 2 days without throwing a tantrum. Not classy like Blair.
Nate: All I can say is that he used to be the real deal, but from season 5, there's not really a story line for this character.
Chuck: Probably the most progressed character on the show. He's the only one to properly grow up and forget his teenage years - move on. Anyone realize he doesn't even care about Gossip Girl's blog gradually?
Dan: Dan, Dan, Dan. I like his character. He's the only one you can actually relate to. He became nasty, but because of the impact the Upper East side word had on him. Still, I don't mind his character!
Jenny: Freshman year: mean, disobedient girl. Sophmore year: Psycho, hateful girl. Junior year: queen of mean. Senior year: schemer. Does she ever grow up? I love her really.
Georgina: She was hated, and everyone clapped when Blair sent her to 'Yootah'. But when she became GG for a while, most of us fell under her spell. I love how bitchy and easygoing she is, always getting what she wants and not giving a crap.

Will you miss Gossip Girl? Comment and send me mail x

You gotta love her attitude!
Leighton said her shooting scenes with Ed are her faves.
Wish we had these uniforms! Gawsh!


"I died. I died when I learned that the "I love you" Chuck whispered to Blair was not in the script. It was Ed improvising..."

No comments:

Post a Comment