Tuesday 30 October 2012

Dear It Girl, should I change schools next year?

Q - I've been going to the same school for 5 years now, and I'm finishin my last year. Next year is 6th form time! I don't love my recent school, but i got pretty used to it after such a long time.
I havent made any close friends in my year - I usually have to trail after my older sister and hang out with her mates at break (she doesn't mind, but since im younger, her mates treat me like a baby). Anyway, I'd love to have a fresh start and make some real friends for once, but I can't cope with change! We moved house 3 times in 6 years (all very close to eachother), but I just can't cope with anymore change! Help?
Anab., 16

A - Picture me 2 months ago, one day before the start of school. I hadn't decided which school I want to attend. Horrible. I don't like to admit it, but I burst out crying the day before school, because I had no idea which bus I was taking the next day. I had two choices - either stay at my old school, or have a fresh start.
I felt almost like you - I don't like change. But I wanted something new, really badly.
My advice to you, is to keep both doors open. You have a long time till you have to know for sure. But If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the new school.
Do this: Create a new alter-ego. A brave, bold, unique, girl who is a social butterfly and smiles when she feels like it! Make up a nickname even. Go to your new school next year and act like your new alter ego. But this doesn't mean to forget the real you, just mix it up a little, and when you make friends, you can go back to however you feel best at. Nothing wrong with being an outsider, just make sure you're not pushed back - meaning, enjoy the life of your own year group, not your sister's. Join in. Talk to people. Have fun!
Jump and Laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment